Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Newells Academy & Link Social Club






The last month has proven to be quite the adventure, and time seems to be flying by at an incredibly fast rate. Its hard to believe I didn't manage to update this blog all through the month of July.


Here are some pictures of Newells Academy, where I am doing my thesis research. The main building also serves as my host family's home... and so I stay here too. The nursery classroom is beside my bedroom, and the kitchen outback serves about 100 to 150 students (depending on how many show up to school, which again is largely dependent on if it is raining heavily or not).


The school goes from nursery to JSS 1 - which is like Canada's grade 7. Next term (staring in September) the school will add JSS 2 (Grade 8). The facilities at the school are not great... there are usually 2 if not 3 students sharing a desk and textbook. There is no electricity or running water, no playground for the young students, and not even anywhere comfortable to sit when eating lunch. And yet, the school manages to function though there is no doubt in my mind that a better environment to learn in would benefit the students immensely.
The last picture, with the trees, is a common meeting place where all staff meetings and the like take place. So Africa and I love it!

We are hosting a fundraiser on Sunday, August 5 and I hope it is relatively as successful as my Ghana Make You Move! event. The school is raising money to build better classrooms and facilities... I hope to come back one day when they are ready to start building so that I can help out. With that said, please continue to click on the advertisements at the bottom of this screen. You don't need to buy anything, but when you click on the add I earn money which is all going directly to Newells Academy!!!


Enjoy the photos!

No comments: